Monday, February 2, 2009

Hunting with the Bow and Arrow - Saxton Pope


So reading "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow" by Saxton Pope has been incredible. Even if I didn't want to hunt, simply the stories and descriptions of his time with Ishi are amazing. The writing is clear and concise, perhaps even a bit dry when he details the semi-scientific testing of different cultural bow designs. Overall though, an amazing window into the habits and habitat of one of the last, true hunter gathers.

It makes me want to go into the wild and hunt bare but for a loin cloth. Only moccasins on my feet and move slow and quiet through the under brush. Hunting for meat, hunting for game small and large. A bow of my own making, shafts I have shaved down, heads I have flintknapped.

It's a ways off, all of that for me, but something to think about. Something to work towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment